The SOLAR-X3 R&D coater is a cost-effective coating machine designed for qualitative R&D solution processing of functional materials like OPV, perovskite PV, OLED, LEC and similar material technologies with a digital platform that enables integrated data collection and experimental flexibility.
Designed for experimental research
The SOLAR-X3 addresses the challenges associated with roll-to-roll equipment in R&D environments. Industrial roll-to-roll equipment often lacks the necessary freedom to experiment, adapt, correct, moderate and data collect as is common in research.
To accommodate the flow of the research process the SOLAR-X3 provides a flexible system that allows facile experimental adjustment, data collection and easy operation.
The modular built SOLAR-X3 is fitted with all-around web access for easy maintenance, constant monitoring and control of the printed web. Furthermore, the SOLAR-X3’s construction enables custom configuration and positioning of the coating, printing and drying units ideal for R&D.
Digital control and data collection
The coater is based on a digitally controlled platform and provides process control and complete process data logging with export functions to enable researchers to analyse this data.
Automated documentation is key to handle large data volumes. The complete coating conditions are automatically logged by the control software and can also be printed alongside the coated area by a synchronised barcode printer/reader.
Coating & printing methods
The SOLAR-X3 facilitates the integration of multiple coating and printing methods to the machine frame, for example slot-die coating, flexographic, inkjet or laser scribing. In principal, any coating method can be integrated into the system.
The integrated, extensive and self-diagnostic monitoring system with Ethernet access provides detailed service support and offers online service as well as maintenance supervision.
Inbuilt industrial reconfiguration
For future reference, the coater is prepared for industrial production speed. This allows facile reconfiguration for industrial production once your research is ready for technology transfer to a commercial phase.
The SOLAR-X3 consists of a base machine with an option to integrate various printing units configured according to customer specifications. It is designed with all-round easy web access for easy maintenance, constant monitoring and control of the printed web as well as easy threading of the machine. Upon request, the SOLAR-X3 is Atex compatible with certification.
- Constructed from modular sub-units (each W: 0.8 m, D: 1.1 m, H: 1.6 m, typically 5+)
- 13”/22” (330/560mm) industry standard web width
- An unwind, ultra sonic edge guide and splicing table
- Pre-treatment with double-sided ECO Web cleaning from Teknek Ltd.
- Pre-treatment with Corona unit from Vetaphone
- One flexographic printing station, servo driven with register control and slow-run function
- One DTU developed OPV slot-die coating head – automatic registration system (optional)
- Vertical or horizontal double pass hot air and IR oven (2 meter drying in 1 meter oven)
- Ink pump system
- Full servo closed loop tension control as well as pneumatic spindles with winding tension
- 3”/6” pneumatic unwind/rewind spindles with winding tension (other sizes available)
- Speed range 0.01m - 80m/min (higher speed upon request)
- Semi-cantilevered design for high stability and resolution accuracy
- Data logging and open software platform 15. Built-in remote access via internet with self-diagnostics
- Rotary screen printer (STORK, RSI compact)
- Additional printing stations can be retrofitted
- Spray coating
- Multiple double pass oven and rewind. Additional drying sections, VUV, UV, IR, hot air can be fitted or retrofitted according to customer specifications.
- Additional slot die coating system for consecutive layer coating
- Automated BST guidance system for slot-die coating head
- Camera web guiding system for registration
- Lamination unit, inline or offline
- Die-cut station, rotary or laser
- Bar code reader/writer
- Sealed ventilation system for coating hazardous materials or atmosphere control
- Camera systems for visual inspection and data logging.
- Inline photocurrent flash imaging system – FPM250A LBIC type system
- FOM Laboratory Log Book – user adaptable data logging system for research and statistical analysis
Other solutions and custom adaptations are possible.